Metaverse — What is behind?-Crash course
- Metaverse term was inspired by Neal Stephenson’s 1992 science fiction novel “Snow Crash”.
- “Snow Crash”- The worst type of system crash, similar to a Blue Screen of Death. The drug/computer virus is named after this system crash because it causes the brain to undergo a complete “system crash” of its own.
- It is not Facebook (Meta) which brought attention to Metaverse. Metaverse foundation was formed in 2017, and developed solid framework https://mvs.org
- Investopedia summarizes different definitions as —
The Metaverse is a digital reality that combines aspects of social media, online gaming, augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR), and cryptocurrencies to allow users to interact virtually. Augmented reality overlays visual elements, sound, and other sensory input onto real-world settings to enhance the user experience. In contrast, virtual reality is entirely virtual and enhances fictional realities.
- More inclusive definition from wired.com
Metaverse can include virtual reality — characterized by persistent virtual worlds that continue to exist even when you’re not playing — as well as augmented reality that combines aspects of the digital and physical worlds. However, it doesn’t require that those spaces be exclusively accessed via VR or AR. A virtual world, like aspects of Fortnite that can be accessed through PCs, game consoles, and even phones, could be metaversal.
It also translates to a digital economy, where users can create, buy, and sell goods. And, in the more idealistic visions of the Metaverse, it’s interoperable, allowing you to take virtual items like clothes or cars from one platform to another. In the real world, you can buy a shirt from the mall and then wear it to a movie theater. Right now, most platforms have virtual identities, avatars, and inventories that are tied to just one platform, but a Metaverse might allow you to create a persona that you can take everywhere as easily as you can copy your profile picture from one social network to another.
- From above definitions summarized :
Metaverse is Virtual reality,Virtual space/Universe/Database where persons real life activities, records will be represented/bound by/to Avatar- kind ID
Metaverse presents its own currency based on blockchain— NFT for virtual and real goods
Metaverse is/will be accessed by by some type of device goggles, any other future interaction device.
Meta — Horizon Workrooms
Epic’ — Fortnite
Microsoft — Roblox
As any technology it is not good or bad. All depends how it will be used.
I hope this gives you initial idea what is Metaverse.